Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Left My Heart In Melbourne


Melbourne was beautiful. I was there for 24 days to be exact, but 24 days passed by so quickly that I only felt like I'd been there for 7 days.

"When you're having fun, you don't realize how fast time speeds by until it's long gone."

True, except I was trying my best to NOT realize that with each passing day, I was one step closer to leaving the city. Anyway, I had a great time there! I was with Ming and his family and I met up with some of my friends :)

What did I do in Melbourne? I did a good deal of eating, walking around & taking snapshots of almost everything in sight (because I was easily captivated by the vast differences of nature and culture), shopping and spending quality time with people.

Where shall I start? That's simple. FOOD FIRST!

Max Brenner is located in the city (QV & Melbourne Central). It's a chocolate cafe that sells everything related to chocolate. And the chocolates are GOOD. So if you live in Melbourne and you love chocolate but have never tried Max Brenner's goodies yet, YOU SHOULD! :) At least once in your lifetime.
I had a banana-chocolate milkshake and a belgian waffle served with a drizzle of hot chocolate, bananas, strawberries and ice cream. :) Mmmm, perfect for the one with a sweet tooth.

I know it's so ironic how I came from Malaysia, and yet I went to the Malaysian restaurant three times when I was in Melbourne. Lol. I liked the Siamese laksa. It was a little spicy with a tinge of sour.


Grecco's cakehouse at Crown Hotel serves awesome possum cakes. Just look at their range of selections!

The best would still be the Mars Bar Cheesecake. It's like heaven in your mouth. The texture of the cheesecake was rich and almost creamy, with thick caramel slathered on top and a chunk of Mars Bar chocolate with chocolate chips.




I've talked about Tomodachi before. It's a Japanese restaurant on the top floor of Melbourne Central, known for its unique sushi train. Aside from tasty sushis, I liked the Crab Claws; deep fried crab claws with succulent crab meat inside, sliced to perfection.

Crispy goodness!

I met up with Charis Wong on my second week. She took Ming and I to a small alley in Chinatown, where CAMY SHANGHAI DUMPLING & NOODLE RESTAURANT was located. The dumplings were very delicious!


We ordered several plates of dumplings and Xiao Long Paus. I love Xiao Long Paus. In Melbourne, they're called "Shanghai Mini Pork Buns". Very nicely done and also rather affordable. Food in Melbourne isn't cheap, but this one could be an exception.

On my final day in Melbourne, Ming and I spent HOURS walking in the city in search of a ramen shop that we went to last year. We couldn't remember the name & location, so we just walked and checked out every crook and alley in sight. FINALLY, we spotted it. It was located in a large building (CPO or something like that). We were walking past then I glanced at the entrance (which was open) and saw the familiar gloomy alleyway!

My seafood dumpling ramen.

I love drinking hot soup on a cold day. Did I mention how cold it was in Melbourne? Anyway, I'd been tweeting about the freezing weather in my first week, so let's not go there any more :P

Then, there was ROCKPOOL. It was a posh restaurant in Crown Hotel, known for steak. I dined there with Ming and his family one night. Though I'm not a huge fan of steak, I have to admit that my medium-rare steak was quite tender and juicy. It was called a fillet.

Me: I'd like the 'fillay' please.
Waiter: Oh, you mean the 'fillet'?
Me: Oh, yeah. That.

Oopsie. Didn't know that "fillet" was actually pronounced "fillet" over there. I've been saying "fish fillay" all my life! Is it just me, or is "fillet" really pronounced as "fillet"? With the audible "T" at the back? You know like how "gourmet" is pronounced "gor-may", what about "fillet"? ANYWAY. :) I loved my FILLET.

And there was a christening party that I attended. Ming and I made some jellies. His aunt made the rest, except the cake in the middle. That was purchased from a local bakery. :)

The two jellies on both sides of the cake were made my Ming and I :)
*pats self on the back*

More of the city and people in the next blog post! :D

I need to start packing for Singapore. Leaving tomorrow to see my relatives! I'm uber excited! :) And it's my grandmother's birthday tomorrow too. Will be there just in time to celebrate with everyone.

Toodles!

PS: Updated my playlist too, featuring all my current favorites! If you share the same taste, enjoy! :)

No comments: