Thursday, September 09, 2010

Starbucks and the Library



It's 10.00pm and the second floor of the lovely Torreyson library is almost deserted, except for a handful of students who are finishing their last minute assignments on their laptops. I was one of those students; and I just finished my assignment and emailed it to my lecturer.

Thursdays are my least favorite. It's the only day of the week that I end at 9pm. I just came out of my Health Education class. This week, we're given a new assignment; it's all about personal growth. We were told to pick a bad habit to improve on, and we'd have to keep a journal of our progress over the next 4 weeks. It could be something like wanting to quit smoking, or wanting to eat healthier, etc. There was this guy from China who's just... different. At the end of class, he went up to the lecturer and said that he didn't have a bad behavior or anything that needed improvement.

My lecturer was surprised. She said, "I'm sure we'll be able to find something you can improve on. Do you smoke? Do you think you need to eat healthier? Do you need to exercise more?" He answered No on all those questions. So she proceeded to suggest a couple more options and was profoundly stunned that he didn't seem have to plausible flaw. I mean, those were just basic questions like, "Do you get enough sleep a day? Do you drink often?"

In the end, she sighed and said, "Look, you're going to need to find something to work on so you can make that your goal for the next 4 weeks. It could be something you haven't been doing? THINK."

He pushed his glasses up his nose and said, "Sex with girls?"

My lecturer just stood there, jaw agape, shaking her head and trying hard not to laugh. "I don't believe he just said that. OH MY GOODNESS."

Well, so I have some pretty interesting classmates this semester.



I was at the library last night with Dana. My library has a Starbucks on the first floor of the building, so that's one of its best features ;) I grabbed a Strawberry & Cream frappucino at 7pm, then at 9.30pm I went down again for a Peppermint Hot Chocolate because I was craving for more sugary substance to sweeten up the dullness of World History.


I finished my notes for the chapter.
Of course we studied.

No comments: