Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cooking

On Friday, I went over to Nate's place. When I got there, Nate and Pei Wen were still in the kitchen cooking. It was their idea to cook up a feisty dinner, so I helped out. We're not the best chefs in town; and I have a confession to make: none of us really knew much about cooking. Anyway, we stuck to the plan of three dishes: spaghetti & sauce, mashed potatoes and mushrooms. We cooked based on our 'instincts'.

This seems like a picture taken for my high school Moral project, where we pretended to be angels and did the housework.

We just went along with whatever seemed "right". Like, while the sliced white mushrooms were simmering in the wok along with the onion strips, Nate took one look at them and said they were too dry. And then he poured a whole cup of water into the wok. Later on, he realized that wasn't the right way to make gravy; so he started spooning water out of the wok. Then he added salt and more salt and even more salt. Pei Wen and I just watched and laughed. I mean, it's better to have more than less.

Despite the mini chaos over the mushrooms, they turned out to be really yummy :) I'm serious.

Oh, I have to mention that the pictures didn't do any justice to the food. The dishes tasted a lot better than they looked. I showed Nate the picture of the mushrooms.
Me: Do they look yummy?
Nate: No, not really.
Me: It's okay. I'll just photoshop it.

And then it was time for the spaghetti sauce. First, we added the Prego tomato sauce thingy into the wok,and then decided to add some cheese into it. The instructions weren't clear enough, so Pei Wen emptied the whole can of cheese sauce into the wok. There was too much cheese, so we added more Prego tomato sauce. Later on we dumped in the ham slices. Nate poured more salt. I added the parsley flakes :) You know, just to make it look nice. Nate added more salt again. I added pepper. Even though we weren't sure if the sauce required pepper and so much salt, randomly adding stuff in was fun.



As for the mashed potatoes, we added several dollops of mayonnaise and they insisted on the tar tar sauce too. Okay, so in went the tar tar sauce. Then I added the parsley. Someone poured in more salt and pepper. And I think we added butter. Then we stirred and mashed until the potatoes became soft and creamy.

Someone said that looked like corn ice cream 0.o


Ta-daa! Dinner was served :D
The food turned out to be more than just edible. It wasn't bad :)
Plus, I really had fun cooking with them!

Pei Wen and Nate

And after that incident, my interest for cooking heightened to a brand new level. I was bored at home, and I decided to cook. (just to pass the time). So I told my family, "I'm going to cook. And then I need you all to eat." Even though it was only an hour after lunch, they ate :)


I did it all by myself - my very own fried Maggi Mee :) Hahaha yes this is nothing to be proud about. I should even be ashamed because I fried Maggi Mee and I was happy about it.
So what? :) There's a first time for everything. And it tasted yummy!

I'll be off to cooking more new stuff this week. Hehe. I was so excited. I told my mom I wanted to cook Pan Mee.She just gave me this look like (-.o?) and said, "You think cooking Pan Mee is so easy?"

:(

Should I venture into culinary arts? :D

Okay, maybe not. Lol.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please be informed that Headmistress Robiah adamantly wants everyone to help out with and attend Hari Keluarga SMK USJ 13 on 1 August 2009.

Visit the school whenever you are free, and talk to teachers about what you can do for that day, and for those of you who are eager to help them raise funds, well, then you can just buy as many coupons as you can. Most importantly, try your best to promote this event.

Please help disseminate this information.

Asstounding kukubird said...

cute cook!