Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Still Searching

Jobs. Resume. Cover letters. CVs. Jobs. Housing. Jobs. Jobs. Jobs.

My mind can barely rest these days. I graduate in December and I have very limited time to wrap my plans together. I'd love to move to New York after graduation and settle in some cozy little apartment in Brooklyn, working a day job at a prestigious newspaper or magazine.

I have that much planned out - but I haven't finalized anything yet. Nothing is confirmed because I'm still at square one: tweaking my resume and cover letter.

Friends suggested I should apply for Vogue, and I laughed. I'm not downscaling my writing abilities, but seriously, a part of me is flattered they even suggested it, and the other part of me knows fairly well my application will just be among one of the thousands waiting to be reviewed by Vogue.

I'm fueled with a strong passion to work for The New York Times, although I'm already convinced it's not going to happen anytime soon, given my lack of experience in reporting outside of campus. Plus, The New York Times' writing style is flourished with eloquence and grandiose vocabulary - a trait I'm still working hard to acquire.

But hey, I'm willing to try. I'll aim high, so even if I fall, I'll land among the stars, right? That's only if I don't fall too far below... and end up back on earth with reality slapping me in the face.

I've heard how hard it is to score a job or even a paid internship in the States, and especially in New York, a city that birthed so many great writers. Competition is crazy.

But I have big dreams and I'm not willing to quit dreaming. Not yet. Not ever. Wish me luck! :)

No comments: