Monday, August 05, 2013

Exploring The West Village On Foot

The best way to know a city is to travel by foot. Yesterday, I strolled through Chelsea, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan. 




The area was void of the usual Manhattan buzz. No blaring sirens and impatient honks, no random yelling, no crowds. It was so peaceful that I could actually hear the birds singing above me. Such a perfect Sunday morning. 



When brunch time rolled around, I met up with Jacqui and Erika at Tipsy Parson for one of the best brunches of my life. Jacqui had visited this restaurant a few months ago, and she kept talking about how awesome it was. And she was right, it was a great experience. Everything, from the quirky interior to the polite waitress to the delicious meal, was worth the try.




Fluffy Belgian waffle, lemon-cornmeal pancakes and a buttermilk biscuit... dee-licious! I sat down last night and blogged about my brunch, so feel free to read the review on my food blog :)


Erika

Jacqui and me

After a hearty meal, we walked a few blocks to the High Line (another one of my favorite spots in Manhattan). 


He sculpts fresh ice into popsicles and icees




Then we left the High Line and walked along Horatio St (still in the West Village) to look for Jacqui's favorite vintage boutique, Darling. After nearly 30 minutes of searching, checking Google Maps and pacing back and forth, we found it! 


I haven't visited a lot of vintage stores, but I like the non-mainstream sophistication that they emanate. Unfortunately, these clothes were pretty pricey even after a markdown. Most of them were previously owned, which summarizes the concept of vintage stores. One person's trash is another's treasure. 


Walked some more and passed Two Boots, the pizza parlor featured in one of the episodes of Sex and the City. 

Our next and last stop was Magnolia Bakery, an adorable cafe located on Bleecker & West 11th Street. I was so happy to see that the famous banana puddings were now available in mini cups, instead of the original big pints. Now I didn't feel so guilty.



Upon entering, we were greeted by the sweet aroma of cakes and and my heart literally melted at the sight of these freshly-baked cupcakes resting by the window. 


Situated across the street from Magnolia Bakery was Bookmarc, Marc Jacobs's bookstore. 


We bought banana pudding and ate at a park nearby, while being entertained by a jovial pianist with a strikingly good voice. 

Graced with a vintage appeal, the West Village is one of my favorite areas in New York. It was a joy exploring more of the neighborhood and discovering classic gems like Magnolia Bakery, Darling and Tipsy Parson with Erika and Jacqui! 

No comments: