Monday, March 29, 2010

Happy

Today, I was talking to one of my classmates. We have never really sat down and talked before, so today was my first time having a real conversation with her. I'm so glad we did, because it was fun. Read this.


She: When's your birthday?
Me: June 13th.

All of a sudden, she gasps and goes: WHAT??! That's the same birthday as my ex!
She and her ex just broke up yesterday. So we were talking about it for a while and later on, it was my turn to ask her.

Me: When's your birthday?
She: January 27th.
Me: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. That's my boyfriend's birthday!

There was surprise and shock in the air, and after that cooled down, we were talking about our midterm marks.

She scored a 67, and I scored a 76.

Talk about MAJOR coincidences :) Haha!

Oh, and I just have to spread some of my happiness here. This is regarding my English class, which so far I've STRUGGLED like crazy to get an A for every piece of work. For my midterm, I wrote so much and only got a 76%. For the Fannie article, I scored 77%.

And then not too long ago, she told me straight up that if I wanted to do well in the Journalism field, I'd have to work ALOT harder. I felt a little discouraged by that, but then pushed myself to keep on trying. For my latest assignment, our theme was on "Humanitarian Crisis influenced by armed conflict". So I picked up the challenge and wrote a causal-chain essay about the war in Darfur. Causal-chain essays are not necessarily hard if you have the points. But I did mine in 3 days and I almost died doing it. Literally.

Today, I picked up my assignment on the Darfur war. I was gripped with anxiety. Then I saw my score.

I got a 91% ! :) Thank GOD!

Look I know it's not a big deal. But to me, it's a huge achievement. For three whole months, I thought I'd never get anything above 80% in her class. I'm really happy. This would totally help in my coursework. Scoring a 91 doesn't make me an awesome writer. I still have a lot to work on. And maybe I'll never be the best, you know? There's always someone out there who writes way better than I do and I'm sure of it.

I guess I just wanted to prove to her that I can do better, because I believe in myself.
I'm not going to switch my major just because I've been told that my best wasn't enough.

Don't ever lose faith in yourself. Keep persevering. You may just surprise yourself in the end :)

It wasn't my lecturer who was surprised.
It was me.

1 comment:

vivie said...

wow 91 is great!! i'm so proud of u. yr well on yr way in becoming an amazing journalist. and babe, thats some great attitude u got there!