Sunday, November 06, 2011

Take a step back and smile.



It's so easy to get our priorities jumbled up in this crazy, twisted world. We're walking a tight rope everyday, hands outstretched like wings to keep us from falling. But we still fall anyway.

This week has been one of the toughest weeks all semester. I didn't get off to a smooth ride this time, but I found my balance after a few weeks of classes and just when I thought I had things under control, I had the carpet pulled from beneath my feet again and I was falling back to where I started.

But I've learned something important:

We can't be perfect all the time.

Perfection is far-fetched. It's overrated. It doesn't exist.

It's an illusion of the ideal dream chased by many. It's the standard by which the world upholds its values these days.

It's nothing but a waste of precious time.

We're humans and we make mistakes. We're overambitious and we're often hard on ourselves. I've been hard on myself all my life.

I rarely gave myself credit for my efforts. I've been chasing this unrealistic dream of succeeding in every aspect of life, secretly knowing I wouldn't have it all. And then I'd wear myself out for not being the best I could be, because I thought I'd failed.

Well, life isn't meant to be a competition, nor is it meant to be a battlefield. It may seem like it, but it's a platform to grow and learn. It's a training ground. And we're lucky to be alive because that means we get another shot at living a fulfilling life, not as perfectionists, but as human beings.

At the end of the day, I think of my accomplishments and I know I'm blessed.

I may not have accomplished much, but I've accomplished enough to make me who I am today.  :)

When you're too busy chasing your goals, you forget to count your blessings. Take a step back and see how far you've come, and be grateful.

No comments: