Friday, February 22, 2013

Reynard

My younger brother graduated with a diploma today! :) He also scored an award for being the best student in his course!

I'm so proud of him. He's a smart, hardworking, nurturing and wonderful individual, and today's his big day. I wish I could attend his graduation ceremony. I would cheer him on as he crosses the stage to receive his certificate. I would wrap him in a tight hug and tell him how proud I am. And then all four of us could pose together for a nice family photo, with my brother in his striking cap and gown.

Sometimes we look at someone we've known all our lives and see them for who they were, instead of who they are. I often see my brother as the 3-year-old boy he used to be, instead of the 20-year-old he is today.

Our childhoods were intertwined. We colored the walls with our imagination, much to my mom's disappointment. Who knew orange and green markers were only limited to paper and white boards? We danced and sang. I read to him from my stack of Peter-and-Jane books, circling big words he didn't understand like "play" and "read."   We'd join several mattresses together and cover them with as many blankets as we could find, and with a flashlight, we'd crawl beneath the blankets and try to explore the new world we'd created. Life was an adventure.

When he entered the first grade, I wanted to buy him a present for his birthday. I was only 9 when I went to the school bookstore and used my lunch money to buy a chick-shaped eraser, a mechanical pencil and a plastic ruler. When I got home, I wrapped those three things together and proudly presented the present to him. It wasn't much, but as I delivered the present, I felt a surge of excitement. I'd never gotten him a present before and I really wanted him to like this. He did. And that made me happy.

As time passed, our differences created a gap in our conversations. We argued. We fought. We were more verbal than physical. You know what they say - words inflict the deepest wounds.

But time has a way of healing these wounds. As we aged, we aged in our maturity too. We learned to appreciate the bond that we have. I have friends who grew up as an only child, and some of them told me they wished they had a sibling to share their lives with. I am grateful for my brother and can't thank God enough for a wonderful, loving brother like him.

So to my dear brother, Congratulations! You did great. Now, you have a whole new road ahead of you, a new world waiting to be explored. When things get a little dark, don't forget that flashlight - you can find it in your heart. It'll guide you to where you're meant to be.

Lots of love, 
your sis.

No comments: