Monday, April 15, 2013

Pray For Boston

It was supposed to be an ordinary Monday, except it wasn't. I was in the office when my coworker suddenly gasped beside me, "Shit. There were two explosions at the Boston Marathon today."

The shock of that news resonated quickly. Everyone flooded to the social media platforms, checking Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates. News sites like CNN and Huffington Post were delivering live updates every few minutes. Even fashion and gossip websites such as Refinery 29 and US Weekly were tweeting about the devastating tragedy.

As the hours went by, the injury toll increased from an initial 23 to 28, and now the recent scale strikes 133 injuries and 3 deaths.

Everyone around the world is currently pondering the same question: who would do such a thing, and why?

My heart broke as I scrolled through gruesome photos of the bloodbath, and I was angered to see that several of those photographs received a wide number of "favorites" on Twitter, which are equivalent to Facebook likes. Why would you hit favorite on a tragic photo? What's there to like about detonated limbs, blood pools and the cruel sight of death?

My heart goes out to the innocent bystanders who lost limbs due to the explosions, and to the families of the deceased and the injured. My prayers are with everyone in Boston tonight.

No comments: