Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sweet Thursday

Here's another belated post! So a few weeks ago, Simona flew in from Arkansas and we began our city adventures on Thursday, which was unfortunately cold and windy. I was layered up in a faded denim button-down shirt, a brown jacket and acid-washed skinnies, along with a thick shawl and a beanie to protect my neck and ears from the freezing weather.

'

Simona donned a cream jacket and a silk Malaysian scarf (present from me) over her blouse and black denims. Since I was the one with a bulky DSLR, she offered to carry my beige handbag. :) It looked good on her. 

Our first stop of the day was SoHo, one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the city and home to retailers like Forever 21, H&M, Mango, Zara, Urban Outfitters and other international flagships. SoHo contains a nice cluster of shops, ranging from relatively affordable to couture designers. 

A lot of the architecture is influenced by an older era, like this church. 




SoHo has a good mixture of food and fashion. You shop until you're about to drop, and then you discover a cute cafe around the corner serving good tea and chocolate croissants. Fresh & Co. promotes healthy salads, soups and sandwiches, while Le Pain Quotidien (just a few blocks down) boasts fresh French pastries and beverages that never fail to leave a good taste in your mouth.

Le Pain Quotidien

It was really cold, so we hopped in and sat down for a good half hour to recuperate and get some carbs in our system. Simona decided to try their hummus, which came with dates and rye bread. 


I was craving something sweet, so I ordered the Belgium hot chocolate and two mini tarlets - lemon raspberry and chocolate. Simply delicious. The rich, creamy texture of the hot chocolate made me lust for more.


Minutes after we left the bakery, we found *gasp!* MAX BRENNER one block away. I always thought Max Brenner was an Australian thing, and I'd craved the chocolate goodies since my last visit to Aussieland. So stumbling upon a big Max Brenner restaurant was like walking into chocolate heaven. 


Chocolate was fashioned into all shapes and sizes, from chocolate-coated nuts to truffles and bars. 

 

Being chocolate lovers ourselves, Simona and I went crazy. We were literally kids in a candy store. "Forget about the calories," we said as we each purchased a Max Brenner bar. "Today, we're feasting to our hearts' content."


She's never been happier.
Grinning like children, we unwrapped our Max Brenner treats while walking toward Union Square Park. Even the sun was beaming at us. What a perfect afternoon to chill at the park. Sunlight filtered through the branches and cast a golden gleam upon the city.




 

Model in the making! She's a true beauty, inside and out.


  


 


Love her to bits!


Saw some guys wrapped in a serious game of chess at the park.

Our candy craving didn't stop at Max Brenner. In fact, it propelled us to Times Square, where we wandered into Godiva. I wasn't intending to buy anything at Godiva, but I have a soft spot for chocolate. Staring at the rows of flawless truffles did the trick. I caved in and bought a peanut cluster. Just ONE cluster.





Hello Times Square!
Our next stop was Toys 'R Us! Childhood memories flooded back as we swept through the aisles of endless toys. A huge Ferris Wheel was positioned in the middle of the store.



It's Prime time!

I was so honored to meet the King of Candyland.

We also swung by the Disney Store which was a few minutes away from Toys 'R Us, and to my delight, I found pink Minnies! I used to own a life-sized Minnie doll when I was 7 because it was a present from my mom for doing really well on a big exam. I don't know if that doll is still sitting at home, or if it's been donated. But seeing these Minnies reminded me of my childhood once again.


And that wraps up our Thursday in Times Square! Despite the cold, our hearts were warmed with the joyful memories of the day.


More NYC adventures with the lovely Simona soon!

No comments: