Saturday, April 13, 2013

Weeks in Review

Hello! I'm back on the blogging bandwagon. I had to take a break from blogging for a while, as my journey in New York encountered new phases that required me to channel most of my time and energy elsewhere.

Well, here's a brief update on my life in the Big Apple:


  • Levi moved in with me for a month
    My good friend from Arkansas came to New York in January for an internship. During her final month, she moved into my apartment with me because her Craigslist housing situation wasn't working out. (NOTE: Make Craigslist your final option when scouting for homes. Do it only if it's a matter of life and death.) She's talented with makeup, so she introduced me to various skincare products and even taught me how to shape my eyebrows. This is embarrassing, but I've never really cared about my eyebrows until she commented on how hideous they were. Then, brandishing tweezers and an eyebrow pencil in my face, she sat me down and began fixing my terrible eyebrows. Thanks to her, my eyebrows don't look so monstrous anymore. We spent most of our time at Koreatown together, strolling the streets for food. We love Korean food. Her internship reached its final leg last week, so she flew back to Arkansas on Monday. I miss her loads, but I'm also beginning to appreciate the independence of living by myself (for the very first time) in a foreign city and country.

  • Simona visited me during her spring break
    You might remember her from a photoshoot I did several months ago. Simona was one of the first people I met when I arrived in the States back in 2010. We hit it off right away and have stayed close friends ever since. It was hard saying goodbye to the people I'd grown close to in Arkansas, and she was one of them. So when she told me she could come visit for 5 days, I was thrilled. Together, we conquered SoHo, Union Square Park, Times Square, museums, cafes and chocolate stores. It was just like the good old times when we used to meet for lunch at the campus cafeteria, except this time our conversations weren't limited to one-hour lunch breaks. She was a joy to have around, and I'm counting the days until I see her again.

  • Assisted fashion stylist Jaclyn Bethany for a few photoshoots
    I spent all of February and March browsing the web hungrily for fashion jobs and internships, and I found an ad by Jaclyn Bethany seeking interns. I applied, and the next thing I knew, we were meeting at Au Bon Pain one morning and she was explaining the details of the internship to me. That night, she emailed me the schedule, and a few days later, I began my first fashion internship as the assistant of one of NYC's coolest and nicest fashion stylists. Jaclyn was fun to work with. She's also an aspiring actor! I got to help out at real fashion photoshoots (my dream came true) and witness them unfold. I was working around clothes from huge labels like Prada, Chanel, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Versace, and other designer brands that were featured on the New York Fashion Week runway. I only worked two fashion shoots, and I've been booked to help at another two this coming week. Yay!  

  • Scored a paid internship at Fashionista.com
    God is good! Right after a busy week of assisting Jaclyn Bethany, I got an internship with Fashionista, a prestigious fashion news website that caters the latest news on a daily basis. I was beyond excited. I started two weeks ago, so I'm still pretty new to this thing, but I'm learning so much more about fashion and the team's writing style. It's definitely a good step into the fast-paced world of fashion. The office is located on Broadway Street in SoHo, which also happens to be one of NYC's busiest shopping districts. It can't get any better than this!

I work four days a week from 10AM to 6PM, and it's a rather lengthy commute to Manhattan from the quaint suburbs of Queens, but I think it's worth it. It's the experience that really matters, in the end.

Have a fantastic weekend, folks!

No comments: