Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chasing Dreams

I used to think that if you dreamed hard enough and fought all odds to pursue it, you'd be contented once you attained it.

There comes a point when having a dream or an ambition isn't enough.

Dreams aren't everything, guys. Yes, dreams may steer you in a certain direction, but they're not everything. Don't be discouraged if you don't end up where you wanted to be. Don't feel like you've failed yourself if you tried hard and things didn't work out.

Because at the end of the day, it's not the dream that really matters, but the journey.

I love road trips, not just for the crazy singing friends and the endless amount of snacks that come with them, but for the ride. The longer the journey, the better. I went on a 12-hour drive to Chicago one time and my butt hurt after sitting for so long that I actually had to get out and walk a little bit. But my favorite part about road trips is the view. I love staring out at the flashing landscapes as they dance past my window. During that trip to Chicago, we passed through Missouri and half of Illinois. Although most of the scenery consisted of endless fields that stretched into the horizon, I was glad I saw them anyway, because I saw more of the South/Midwest than I ever did and would.

Sometimes, the journey gets mundane and you start to wish you were at your destination. Journeys like these actually help you appreciate your destination even better.

Often, we get so caught up chasing our ambitions that we forget to live. We forget that life itself is one huge blessing.

There's gotta be more to life than chasing dreams. It's through cherishing every aspect of the journey and cultivating healthy relationships that we learn what it truly means to live.

No comments: