Saturday, July 20, 2013

Why I Blog

Blogging doesn't come easy anymore.

I'm constantly wondering if my writing makes any sense, if it's getting across to my readers, if it's entertaining or just snooze-inducing, or if it's losing its personality.

Good writers don't just write - they create and illustrate stories and scenarios. They spark imagination. But it's not just about painting vivid pictures for the readers. They also work on the personality of their pieces, the strong, distinctive voice that readers can identify them with.

I'm often torn between what I want to say, what I should say, and what I think people would want me to say.

In the process of that inner struggle, I lose my focus.

When I first started this blog in 2008, I blogged about anything and everything. I would write about the silliest things like my cousin's little pet tortoise to my pet fish who died a week later. I wrote about lame jokes I overheard (even if they reflected my terribly lame sense of humor back then). I wrote about random things that went on during the week. It really seemed like I was talking to myself on my blog.

And then I started writing about dilemmas, little strings of thoughts that kept me up at night, thoughts that carried a certain depth. Thoughts that made people think. It was my way of confronting and consoling myself. And I found peace in that.

The way I see it, blogging isn't just another social networking site. It's not Twitter and it certainly isn't Facebook. This blog is so much more personal. It's a space for me to share my thoughts in greater lengths, it's a space for me to record the memorable moments of my life. It's an online journal that I will reflect on from time to time and notice visible differences in my writing and myself. And if my work can encourage others, that's wonderful. Reading feedback from my readers always puts a smile on my face. I want to blog without the boundaries that are constantly holding me back. I want to remember what it's like to write freely once more, writing about things I love.

I will continue blogging. I will continue writing about things that make sense (or don't). I will ramble about what I ate for brunch (well actually I have a blog for that... hehe) and I will write about the silliest things sometimes. I will write about how great God has been. I will keep writing. If you've been following my blog or even took the time to read the end of this post, thank you. :)

No comments: