Monday, January 04, 2010

Bio?

Today was the first day of classes for the semester. I'm taking ENL102 and BIO121 this semester. ENL102 was the class I dropped in my last semester for the Interpersonal Communication class. I didn't think I'd need that class until I checked the prerequisites for some universities. And yes, I'm on the track of applying to American universities. Again. :) This time, it's final. I already have a few that I want to apply to. By next month I'll get the applications ready.

It's ironic how America requires Mass Comm students to have at least TWO natural sciences when Mass Comm has nothing to do with Science. I did Physics in my first semester, so I decided to go for Biology this semester since I've tried Chemistry in high school and I hated it so much. But I have absolutely no Bio background because I didn't take it up in high school. The Bio class that I'm taking is Bio 1, which is one step more advanced than the basic Bio class. I mean this is the easiest I one that's offered this semester, so I didn't have a choice.

My lecturer is an elderly man who seems quite nice. He started off the class by talking about "Genus" and "monera" other Biological terms that I've never heard of before. I was flipping through the textbook to see if he was on Chapter One but I found nothing 0.o And later on I realized that those terms were the basic fundamental terms of Biology, that the textbook didn't bother to explain because the textbook was too advanced for simple stuff.

Of course I didn't understand a single thing. It was like he was talking in a foreign language. I was sitting with JC, and he too was new to all this. We joked that "Monera" (a type of bacteria) sounded like a mythical land with mythical people called Monerans. It seems like I'll have to use some creativity to memorize all these foreign terms.

I'm gonna have to work extra hard for this class. I think I'll be a nerd this sem.

No comments: