Saturday, January 07, 2012

Titanic






I watched Titanic yesterday and I bawled like a baby.

I first saw this movie in 1997 when it was released. I was only 7, so as a mere child watching such an intense, riveting movie, I was unable to develop an emotional attachment to it then.



But yesterday, I was shamelessly sobbing away throughout the movie. I sobbed when chaos broke out. I sobbed when the ship sank. I sobbed when Jack spoke his last words to Rose.

My favorite scene would have to be the one of Jack and Rose, when they'd fallen into the freezing ocean and Jack sacrificed his life so Rose could live. He asked her to get on the floating piece of wood that was just enough for one person, and he waited by her side with 90% of his body submerged in the ice cold water.

They were shivering violently, and Rose whispered, "I love you, Jack."

Jack stared at her for a moment, and firmly said, "Don't you do that, don't say your goodbyes."

Rose replied, "I'm so cold."

"Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here," Jack told her. His teeth were chattering but he was determined to go on. "You're gonna go on and make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old lady warm in her bed, but not here. Not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?"

"I can't feel my body," Rose croaked.

"Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me," Jack continued. "It brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor, Rose. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise."

"I promise," Rose whispered.

"Never let go," Jack said.

Those were his last words to her.

Rose's final words to him were, "I'll never let go. I'll never let go, Jack."

Well, all this while I thought that Jack and Rose were a real couple who died at the tragic scene. But just today I discovered that they were fictional characters because the movie needed a front line to focus on, apart from the ship's tragedy.

I feel like a little girl who has just been told that Santa Claus doesn't exist, because for so many years, I held to heart that Jack and Rose were the sweetest couple in the world - sweeter than Allie and Noah from The Notebook.

Well, Titanic still claims first place in my heart as the greatest love story ever told, no matter how fictitious it may be. It's a powerful tearjerker that lives on forever.


I wouldn't mind watching it a thousand times.


No comments: